Officer Presence — No force is used.
- The mere presence of a law enforcement officer works to deter crime or diffuse a situation.
Verbalization — Force is not-physical.
- Officers issue calm, nonthreatening commands
- Officers may increase their volume and shorten commands
Empty-Hand Control — Officers use bodily force to gain control of a situation.
- Soft technique.
- Hard technique
Less-Lethal Methods — Officers use less-lethal technologies to gain control of a situation.
- Blunt impact.
- Conducted Energy Devices (CEDs).
- Officers use lethal weapons to gain control of a situation.